For the marination:
- 1 kilo chicken, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 1 and a half tbsps lemon juice
- 1 and a half tbsps ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 and a half cups scraped coconut(I used a cup of desiccated coconut)
- 1 and a half tbsps coriander seeds
- 15 peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds(methi)
- 1 and a half tsps cumin seeds
- 10 whole bedgi red chillies deseeded(I do not deseed)
- 3 tbsps oil
- 3 medium sized onions finely chopped(to use half of this for grinding)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves(I didn't have any)
- 8 garlic cloves finely chopped
For the gravy:
- 1 and a half tbsps tamarind pulp
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- Marinate chicken with the marinade ingredients for an hour.
- Dry roast scraped coconut to a light brown color. Lightly sauté coriander, fenugreek, cumin seeds, peppercorns, and whole red chillies in 2 teaspoons of oil. Grind these along with roasted scraped coconut and half the chopped onions to a fine paste using a little water if required.
- Heat remaining oil in a vessel. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the seeds begin to crackle, add chopped garlic and onion and sauté for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add ground masala and sauté for 5 minutes till a nice aroma is given out.
- Add marinated chicken. Stir well and add one cup of water. Adjust salt. Cover and cook till chicken is well cooked.
- Add tamarind pulp and stir well. Add coconut milk and remove from heat just when it comes to a boil.
- Serve hot with Mangalore roti or with Deutsch brötchen(bun) as I have done...:)