I had made plans for this weekend. Since the kids were to have an entire week's holiday thanks to the German carnival, I wanted to make the best of it. Attend a carnival parade, a visit to a museum, maybe squeeze in a german town too. Our girl had different plans though. Wednesday she returned home from a two night choir trip from school. She looked happy and content with the good time she spent with her friends. Towards evening I recognised the nagging cough of hers and something told me that a fever was on its way. True to my thoughts, she woke up with a burning forehead and body too. Today is day 3 and we are nowhere close to respite. Since the doc has recognised it as a viral fever we are to expect it to last for a total of 5 days.
Today being day 3 of playing nurse, I am close to wanting to run away somewhere. But that, I cannot do. In between preparing meals for the healthy us and sick man's food for her, I also desired to have a sweet treat. Only that I wasn't prepared to slog myself away in the kitchen for a few more hours. Call it good luck or what, I bumped into this recipe last night during my time spending next to her. It's a no fuss, no frill cake. The best part being that you dump all the ingredients in the pan you will be baking in, mix it all together with a spatula, bake and voila, you are done!!
The perfect recipe for today!! While I did have my doubts about the end result, it has turned out to be a super soft and moist cake. Also got the thumbs up from sonny boy. So when you are tired and wanting a sweet treat with zero effort, I suggest you to bake this cake. You won't be disappointed.
Source: Better Recipes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 and a quarter cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and a quarter cup cold water
- 1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Take an un greased 12" round baking pan.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt in the pan.(see above pic)
- Stir till the mixture is well combined.(see above pic)
- Pour water, oil, vinegar and vanilla to the above and stir well till you have a smooth batter.(see pic above)
- Place the pan in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Enjoy the no frill, no fuss cake..:D
- The original recipe has measures for an eight inch square pan. I wanted a slightly larger cake, hence increased the proportions accordingly.
- I sieved the flour and baking powder together though it was not mentioned in the original recipe.
- I had a doubt whether the cake would be stuck to the pan as it was not greased. It comes out perfectly.