I am married to a mama's boy....:) And mama's boy has a long list of favorite dishes solely prepared by mommy dearest. Batata poha or beaten rice with potatoes is one of them. For the 12 years that we have been married, I never attempted to learn or prepare these select recipes simply for the fact that they should be enjoyed during our visits back home or when mum in law visited us. Well, things have changed now. With us living so far away, trips to and fro have reduced. Plus when you have a husband pining for his favorite food, you have got to give in some time..:D
Batata Poha makes for a very nutritious breakfast. Rich in iron and paired along with potatoes and groundnuts gives you a power packed breakfast to begin your day.
BATATA POHA (serves 4)
Source: Modern Cookery by Thangam E Philip
- Beaten Rice 225 gms
- Potatoes 225 gms
- Onions 200 gms
- Groundnuts 50 gms( added by me)
- Cumin 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Turmeric 1 tsp
- Curry leaves 2 sprigs
- Oil 4 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- A dash of lemon juice.
- Peel and dice potatoes. Chop onions and coriander leaves finely.
- Heat oil. Add mustard and cumin seeds. When they splutter drop in the curry leaves. Fry onions till brown.
- Add potatoes, groundnuts and turmeric powder. Cook on a slow fire till potatoes are cooked. Be careful not to burn them.
- Put rice in a colander. Hold under a running tap or pour water for about half a minute. Let it drain.
- Add the rice to the potatoes and salt to taste.. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add a dash of lemon juice to taste. Serve garnished with chopped coriander leaves.