Happy New Year everybody!!! I know this is late, but then NEVER TOO LATE!!! I hope everybody had a fantastic holiday, good time with loved ones and lots of good food, drink and cheer.
Well, this side of the globe, our holidays have come to an end and the kids go back to school tomorrow. I am surely gonna miss them, but then I have a whole lot of back log of personal work, for instance updating this blog..:) So, it's gonna be a good break from them till the next vacation, which happens every other month or so!!!
My first post this year will be our "Weinachtsbraten" or Christmas lunch. I decided to prepare something totally different this year than our special mangalorean preparation. I decided to roast a stuffed chicken the Indian way. Am glad i took that decision, cause not only did the family thoroughly enjoy this meal, it gave me plenty of time to chat with my loved ones on Christmas day, while the bird roasted gently in the oven...:)
1 whole chicken - 1.25 kilograms
For the marinade:
- 2 tbsps fresh yoghurt
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 2 tbsps ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the filling:
- 3 tbsps cooking oil
- 2 medium onions chopped fine
- 2 medium sized tomatoes chopped fine.
- 300 gms minced meat, beef or lamb
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 cup fresh/frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
For the base while roasting:
- 1 cup assorted veggies like potatoes, carrots or peas( I used only peas)
- oil for drizzling over the chicken.
- Wash chicken, remove innards and pat dry.
- Put all the ingredients for the marinade in a large deep bowl and mix well. Put the whole chicken into this marinade and coat well. Keep aside for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- An hour before roasting, prepare the filling.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep pan.
- Add the cumin seeds. When they splutter, add onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add the minced meat, powdered spices, salt and fry well for 7-8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, peas and potatoes. Cook till potatoes are soft.
- Turn off the flame. Add lemon juice, coriander leaves and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius.
- Fill the stomach cavity of the chicken with the prepared filling. Try to fill in as much filling as possible.
- Line the base of a glass or roasting pan with chopped veggies or peas.
- Place the filled chicken and drizzle all over with oil.
- Roast the chicken for 75 minutes, uncovered. It will turn to a golden brown.
- Serve hot with a potato or a lettuce salad.